Police charge stepmother after emaciated man says he was held captive for more than 20 years
A Connecticut man who said he was held captive for 20 years was rescued after setting fire to his room and telling first responders he did it to gain his freedom, police said Wednesday.
The man's stepmother was charged with cruelty and kidnapping.
Waterbury first responders rescued the emaciated, 32-year-old man from an upstairs room after they were deployed to a house fire last month, police said in a statement. While being treated for smoke inhalation, he revealed that he intentionally set the blaze.
鈥淚 wanted my freedom,鈥� the man said, according to police. He said he had been held captive since he was about 11 years old.
An investigation revealed that the man, whose name was not released, 鈥渉ad been held in captivity for over 20 years, enduring prolonged abuse, starvation, severe neglect, and inhumane treatment,鈥� police said, adding that he had not received medical or dental care during that time.
鈥淭he suffering this victim endured for over 20 years is both heartbreaking and unimaginable," Chief Fernando Spagnolo said in a statement.
Kimberly Sullivan, 56, identified as the man's stepmother, was charged with assault, kidnapping, unlawful restraint, cruelty and reckless endangerment. She was arraigned Wednesday and held in lieu of $300,000 bond.
Sullivan's attorney, Ioannis Kaloidis, said her client was 鈥渟tunned to hear the allegations鈥� and denies them.
鈥淲hat she indicated to me was that they were absolutely not true, and as we get more information we intend to put up a vigorous defense,鈥� Kaloidis said by phone. 鈥淏ut she鈥檚 adamant she did not do the things that she鈥檚 accused of.鈥�
He said he was still gathering information and could not immediately say whether anyone else lived in the home.