米兰体育

Skip to content
NOWCAST 6PM WEEKDAY NEWSCAST
Watch on Demand
Advertisement

Jury selection begins this week in Karen Read murder trial

Jury selection scheduled to begin Tuesday

Jury selection begins this week in Karen Read murder trial

Jury selection scheduled to begin Tuesday

MUCH MORE ATTENTION. KATIE AND ANTOINETTE. GOOD MORNING. IT CERTAINLY DOES. AND BEHIND ME HERE AT NORFOLK SUPERIOR COURT, YOU CAN SEE THAT THE FENCING IS BACK UP. THAT IS OBVIOUSLY AN INDICATION THAT WE ARE GETTING VERY CLOSE TO THE BEGINNING OF THE SECOND TRIAL. AS YOU SAY, THERE鈥橲 AN EVEN LARGER SPOTLIGHT AS THIS TRIAL BEGINS. REED IS ACCUSED OF HITTING HER BOYFRIEND, JOHN BOSTON POLICE OFFICER JOHN O鈥橩EEFE IN JANUARY OF 2022 WITH HER SUV AND LEAVING HIM TO DIE IN THE SNOW. HER LAWYERS ARE USING THE THIRD PARTY CULPRIT DEFENSE, CLAIMING THAT PEOPLE AT A HOUSE PARTY IN CANTON KILLED O鈥橩EEFE AND ARE PINNING IT ON REED. HUNDREDS OF EXTRA JURORS HAVE BEEN SUMMONED FOR THE SECOND TRIAL, LIKELY DUE TO THE HIGH PROFILE NATURE OF THIS CASE, AND THE JUDGE HAS EXTENDED THE BUFFER ZONE AROUND THE COURTHOUSE. COME BACK THE NEXT DAY. WHAT THE JUDGE IS TRYING TO DO IS EXCLUDE EXTERNAL, EXTRANEOUS THINGS THAT COULD CONSCIOUSLY OR UNCONSCIOUSLY AFFECT PARTICULARLY POTENTIAL JURORS AS THEY ARE CHOSEN AND AS THEY SIT THROUGH THE TRIAL. REED鈥橲 FIRST TRIAL ENDED WITH A HUNG JURY LAST JULY, AND SINCE THEN THE LEAD INVESTIGATOR, TROOPER MICHAEL PROCTOR, WAS FIRED FROM THE MASSACHUSETTS STATE POLICE. HE ADMITTED ON THE WITNESS STAND TO SENDING INAPPROPRIATE TEXT MESSAGES ABOUT REED WHILE INVESTIGATING HER. PROCTOR IS LISTED AS A POTENTIAL WITNESS FOR BOTH SIDES IN THIS SECOND TRIAL. CANTON POLICE OFFICER KEVIN ALBERT AND STATE POLICE SERGEANT YURI PUCNIK WERE ALSO DISCIPLINED. DETECTIVE LIEUTENANT BRIAN TULLY WAS TRANSFERRED OUT OF THE NORFOLK COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY鈥橲 OFFICE. JURY EMPANELMENT IS SCHEDULED TO BEGIN AT 9:00 TOMORROW MORNING. THE PROCESS IS EXPECTED TO TAKE SEVERAL WEEKS. REPORTING LIVE THIS MORNING AT NORFOLK SUPERIOR COU
Advertisement
Jury selection begins this week in Karen Read murder trial

Jury selection scheduled to begin Tuesday

The murder trial for Karen Read, the Massachusetts woman accused of murdering her boyfriend, begins Tuesday with jury selection for the case that has made headlines across the nation.One day before the start of jury selection, the judge overseeing the case issued a ruling that blocks one of the defense's planned witnesses from testifying in the case. Judge Beverly Cannone ruled Monday that retired FBI special agent Michael Easter can not be called to testify about his criticisms of the investigation into Boston police officer John O'Keefe's death. "The court finds that expert testimony is not needed for the jury to determine whether or not the investigation was compromised by any failure to follow procedures or pursue other suspects," Cannone wrote. Read, 45, pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and other charges. The prosecution says she hit her boyfriend, O'Keefe, with her vehicle outside of a home in Canton during a snowstorm on Jan. 29, 2022, following a night of drinking. Her defense team argues that someone else was responsible for killing O'Keefe, and Read is the victim of a cover-up. Hundreds of extra jurors have been summoned for the second trial, and the judge has extended the buffer zone up to 200 feet around the courthouse. Martha Coakley, a legal analyst for sister station WCVB, said some differences can be expected in the second trial."What the judge is trying to do is exclude external, extraneous things that could consciously or unconsciously affect particularly potential jurors as they are chosen and as they sit through the trial," Coakley said. "You鈥檝e got the same defense team with a few additions. You鈥檝e got a new prosecutor with a new approach, and I think it鈥檚 going to look different."Read's first trial ended with a hung jury in July 2024. Since then, lead investigator former Trooper Michael Proctor was fired from the Massachusetts State Police after he admitted to sending inappropriate texts about Read during the investigation.Proctor is listed as a witness for both sides in the second trial. Canton police officer Kevin Albert and Massachusetts State Police Sgt. Yuri Bukhenik were also disciplined, and Detective Lt. Brian Tully was transferred out of the Norfolk County District Attorney's Office.Jury impanelment begins Tuesday and is likely to take several weeks.Organizers held demonstrations Sunday in communities across the state, one of the final opportunities for Read's supporters to gather in this manner before the trial.Supporter Dina Warchal was at one of the rallies in Dedham Sunday and said she is protesting for a number of reasons."We're fighting for truth, justice, transparency, and we want things fixed in the state of Massachusetts," Warchal said. "Karen Read could be any one of us, and it has to stop. This is our opportunity to change the way things are. The police need to be accountable for the wrongful things that they do."Another supporter said they were rallying not just for Read but for O'Keefe as well. "We鈥檙e here for her. To show justice and have some justice for her and Officer John O鈥橩eefe," Bonnie Fitzgibbons said. "Because he鈥檚 the key player here."What to know about the case:Read pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and other charges. The prosecution says she hit her boyfriend, John O'Keefe, with her vehicle outside of a home in Canton during a snowstorm on Jan. 29, 2022, following a night of drinking. Her defense team argued that someone else was responsible for killing O'Keefe.The defense centered on allegations of a cover-up involving members of several law enforcement agencies. They say O'Keefe was beaten inside the home, bitten by a dog and then left outside.Testimony in Read's first trial began on April 29, following opening statements. It ended on July 1, when jurors reported being hopelessly deadlocked, and a mistrial was declared.Read's team vowed to keep fighting, and her defense has waged a considerable battle across multiple courts, attempting to get charges dropped or have the case thrown out entirely. Meanwhile, a federal investigation into the case concluded without any charges being filed against police.

The murder trial for Karen Read, the Massachusetts woman accused of murdering her boyfriend, begins Tuesday with jury selection for the case that has made headlines across the nation.

One day before the start of jury selection, the judge overseeing the case issued a ruling that blocks one of the defense's planned witnesses from testifying in the case.

Advertisement

Judge Beverly Cannone ruled Monday that retired FBI special agent Michael Easter can not be called to testify about his criticisms of the investigation into Boston police officer John O'Keefe's death.

"The court finds that expert testimony is not needed for the jury to determine whether or not the investigation was compromised by any failure to follow procedures or pursue other suspects," Cannone wrote.

Read, 45, pleaded not guilty to . The prosecution says she hit her boyfriend, O'Keefe, with her vehicle outside of a home in Canton during a snowstorm on Jan. 29, 2022, following a . Her defense team argues that someone else was responsible for killing O'Keefe, and Read is the victim of a cover-up.

Hundreds of extra jurors have been summoned for the second trial, and the judge has up to 200 feet around the courthouse.

Martha Coakley, a legal analyst for sister station WCVB, said some differences can be expected in the second trial.

"What the judge is trying to do is exclude external, extraneous things that could consciously or unconsciously affect particularly potential jurors as they are chosen and as they sit through the trial," Coakley said. "You鈥檝e got the same defense team with a few additions. You鈥檝e got a new prosecutor with a new approach, and I think it鈥檚 going to look different."

Read's first trial ended with a hung jury in July 2024. Since then, lead investigator former Trooper Michael Proctor was fired from the Massachusetts State Police after he admitted to sending inappropriate texts about Read during the investigation.

Proctor is listed as a witness for both sides in the second trial.

Canton police officer Kevin Albert and Massachusetts State Police Sgt. Yuri Bukhenik were also disciplined, and Detective Lt. Brian Tully was transferred out of the Norfolk County District Attorney's Office.

Jury impanelment begins Tuesday and is likely to take several weeks.

in communities across the state, one of the final opportunities for Read's supporters to gather in this manner before the trial.

Supporter Dina Warchal was at one of the rallies in Dedham Sunday and said she is protesting for a number of reasons.

"We're fighting for truth, justice, transparency, and we want things fixed in the state of Massachusetts," Warchal said. "Karen Read could be any one of us, and it has to stop. This is our opportunity to change the way things are. The police need to be accountable for the wrongful things that they do."

Another supporter said they were rallying not just for Read but for O'Keefe as well.

"We鈥檙e here for her. To show justice and have some justice for her and Officer John O鈥橩eefe," Bonnie Fitzgibbons said. "Because he鈥檚 the key player here."

What to know about the case:

Read pleaded not guilty to . The prosecution says she hit her boyfriend, John O'Keefe, with her vehicle outside of a home in Canton during a snowstorm on Jan. 29, 2022, following a . Her defense team argued that someone else was responsible for killing O'Keefe.

The defense centered on allegations of a cover-up involving members of several law enforcement agencies. They say O'Keefe was beaten inside the home, bitten by a dog and then left outside.

Testimony in Read's first trial began on April 29, following opening statements. It ended on July 1, when jurors reported being hopelessly deadlocked, and a .

Read's team vowed to keep fighting, and her defense has waged a considerable battle across multiple courts, attempting to or have the case . Meanwhile, a without any charges being filed against police.