Bodies of missing aid workers found in Gaza 'mass grave' following Israeli attacks
The bodies of more than a dozen aid workers have been recovered in southern Gaza from what a United Nations agency described as a 鈥渕ass grave,鈥� a week after they went missing following attacks by Israeli forces.
Eight of the 14 bodies recovered Sunday from the site in the southern Rafah area were identified as members of the Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS), five as civil defense, and one as a UN agency employee, PRCS said in a statement. One PRCS medic remains missing.
The body of a fifteenth person, a civil defense worker, was recovered last Thursday from the site, after PRCS said they were initially denied access to the area.
Last week, PRCS said nine of its emergency medical technicians had been missing since March 23 following an incident in which Israeli forces fired on ambulances and fire trucks in southern Rafah.
In response to the initial incident, the Israeli military said it had fired on the ambulances and fire trucks because they were being used as cover by Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad militants.
Aid organizations and the UN have expressed outrage over the attacks, which the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent said were the 鈥渟ingle most deadly鈥� for IFRC workers in almost a decade.
鈥淭his massacre of our team is a tragedy not only for us at the Palestine Red Crescent Society, but also for humanitarian work and humanity,鈥� PCRS said in its statement, calling the targeting of its medics 鈥渁 war crime鈥� punishable under international law.
The attacks come amid Israel鈥檚 renewed assault on the enclave and as its complete blockade of humanitarian aid nears the one-month mark.
Buried beneath the sand
OCHA, the UN鈥檚 Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, said the bodies were recovered after a 鈥渃omplex, week-long rescue operation鈥� that involved using bulldozers and heavy machinery to unearth the victims and their battered vehicles from under sand.
鈥淗ealth workers should never be a target. And yet, we鈥檙e here today, digging up a mass grave of first responders and paramedics,鈥� Jonathan Whittall, the head of UNOCHA in the occupied Palestinian territories, said from the site.
Video shared by the UNOCHA showed a bulldozer digging through dirt and moving debris as emergency responders used shovels to reach the victims. Several bodies were seen being pulled from sand, some wearing PRCS vests and showing signs of decomposition.
Early information indicates the first team of aid workers dispatched to the area were killed by Israeli forces on March 23, and other emergency aid crews were struck over the following several hours as they searched for their missing colleagues, UNOCHA .
鈥淥ne by one, they were hit, they were struck, their bodies were gathered and buried,鈥� Whittall said. 鈥淲e鈥檙e digging them out in their uniforms, with their gloves on.鈥�
Ambulances, as well as UN and civil defense vehicles, were found crushed and buried under the sand, Whittall added, accusing Israeli forces of trying to cover up the scene.
According to the PRCS, their aid workers were dispatched to Rafah鈥檚 Al-Hashashin area on March 23 to respond to Israeli attacks when they came under assault.
鈥淚sraeli forces besieged the area, leading to (the) complete loss of communication with our teams,鈥� PRCS said.
Hours later, Gaza鈥檚 Civil Defense said that six of its staff also went missing after being dispatched to the same area following what it described as a 鈥渟udden incursion by the Israeli occupation forces, the killing and injuring of dozens, and the besieging鈥� of PRCS vehicles.
The Israeli military told CNN earlier its forces had opened fire that day at 鈥渟uspicious vehicles,鈥� including ambulances and fire trucks, that were advancing toward troops without prior coordination, use of headlights or emergency signals.
It said it had 鈥渆liminated鈥� a number of Hamas and Islamic Jihad militants by firing on the vehicles and condemned what it claimed was 鈥渢he repeated use of civilian infrastructure by the terrorist organizations in the Gaza Strip, including the use of medical facilities and ambulances for terrorist purposes.鈥�
The attacks came less than a week after Israel renewed its assault across the strip on March 18, breaking a weeks-long ceasefire with Hamas. Since then, Israeli attacks have killed at least 921 Palestinians and injured more than 2,000 others, according to the Hamas-controlled Gaza Ministry of Health. CNN has no way of independently verifying the numbers, and the Israeli government does not allow foreign journalists to independently enter Gaza.
The news also follows Israel鈥檚 decision before the ceasefire collapsed to block humanitarian aid from entering the enclave, in what it described as a move to pressure Hamas into accepting new terms for an extension of the ceasefire rather than proceed with phase two of the truce.
UNOCHA and aid groups accuse Israel of violating international law by blocking the flow of aid into Gaza and of using starvation as a weapon of war. The same organizations have accused Israel of restricting or creating hurdles to the entry of aid throughout the war.