Trump nominates Fox News host Pete Hegseth for defense secretary
President-elect Donald Trump said Tuesday that he is nominating Fox News host and Army veteran Pete Hegseth to serve as his defense secretary.
Hegseth, 44, is a co-host of Fox News Channel鈥檚 鈥淔ox & Friends Weekend鈥� and has been a contributor with the network since 2014, where he developed a friendship with Trump, who made regular appearances on the show.
If confirmed by the Senate, he would inherit the top job during a series of global crises 鈥� ranging from Russia鈥檚 war in Ukraine and the ongoing attacks in the Middle East by Iranian proxies to the push for a cease-fire between Israel, Hamas and Hezbollah and escalating worries about the growing alliance between Russia and North Korea.
Hegseth is also the author of 鈥淭he War on Warriors: Behind the Betrayal of the Men Who Keep Us Free," published earlier this year, and has been outspoken about rooting out what he has called 鈥渨oke-ness鈥� in the military.
The book, according to its promo, combines 鈥渉is own war experiences, tales of outrage, and an incisive look at how the chain of command got so kinked,鈥� and bills itself as 鈥渢he key to saving our warriors 鈥� and winning future wars.鈥�
While the Pentagon is considered a key coveted post in any administration, the defense secretary was a tumultuous post during Trump鈥檚 first term. Five men held the job during his four years only to resign, be fired or serve briefly as a stopgap. Just two of them were actually confirmed by the Senate.
Trump鈥檚 relationship with his civilian and military leaders during those years was fraught with tension, confusion and frustration, as they struggled to temper or even simply interpret presidential tweets and pronouncements that blindsided them with abrupt policy decisions they weren鈥檛 prepared to explain or defend. Many of the generals who worked in his first administration 鈥� both on active duty and retired 鈥� have slammed him as unfit to serve in the Oval Office and he has condemned them in return.
Hegseth was an infantry captain in the Army National Guard and served overseas in Afghanistan, Iraq and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. He was formerly head of the Concerned Veterans for America, a group backed by conservative billionaires Charles and David Koch, and he unsuccessfully ran for the Senate in Minnesota in 2012.
He also championed the case of four former Blackwater contractors convicted in a 2007 shooting rampage in Baghdad that killed more than a dozen Iraqi civilians. They were pardoned by Trump in one of his final acts in office.
鈥淲ith Pete at the helm, America鈥檚 enemies are on notice 鈥� Our Military will be Great Again, and America will Never Back Down,鈥� Trump said in a statement. 鈥淣obody fights harder for the Troops, and Pete will be a courageous and patriotic champion of our 鈥楶eace through Strength鈥� policy."
Hegseth has 鈥渁n excellent background as a junior officer but does not have the senior national security experience that secretaries need,鈥� said Mark Cancian, a senior advisor at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. 鈥淚 think Trump was tired of fighting with his secretaries of defense and picked one who would be loyal to him.鈥� Cancian said the lack of experience might make it more difficult for Hegseth to get through Senate confirmation.