米兰体育

Skip to content
NOWCAST 6PM WEEKDAY NEWSCAST
Watch on Demand
Advertisement

Trump orders strikes on Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen and issues new warning

The Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen say a series of airstrikes have hit the capital, Sanaa, on Saturday evening.

Trump orders strikes on Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen and issues new warning

The Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen say a series of airstrikes have hit the capital, Sanaa, on Saturday evening.

Advertisement
Trump orders strikes on Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen and issues new warning

The Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen say a series of airstrikes have hit the capital, Sanaa, on Saturday evening.

President Donald Trump said he ordered a series of airstrikes on the Houthi-held areas in Yemen on Saturday, promising to use 鈥渙verwhelming lethal force鈥� until the Iran-backed rebels cease their attacks on shipping along a vital maritime corridor. The Houthis said at least 31 people were killed, and Trump's national security adviser said Sunday that the strikes had successfully targeted 鈥渕ultiple鈥� Houthi leaders.Video above: Fighter jets take off as Trump orders strikes on Yemen's capital鈥淥ur brave Warfighters are right now carrying out aerial attacks on the terrorists鈥� bases, leaders, and missile defenses to protect American shipping, air, and naval assets, and to restore Navigational Freedom,鈥� Trump said in a social media post. 鈥淣o terrorist force will stop American commercial and naval vessels from freely sailing the Waterways of the World.鈥滺e also warned Iran to stop supporting the rebel group, promising to hold the country 鈥渇ully accountable鈥� for the actions of its proxy. It comes two weeks after the U.S. leader sent a letter to Iranian leaders offering a path to restarting bilateral talks between the countries on Iran鈥檚 advancing nuclear program. Trump has said he will not allow it to become operational.鈥淭his was an overwhelming response that actually targeted multiple Houthi leaders and took them out,鈥� Trump national security adviser Michael Waltz said on ABC's 鈥淭his Week,鈥� which aired Sunday.The Houthis reported explosions in their territory Saturday evening in the capital of Sanaa and the northern province of Saada, the rebels鈥� stronghold on the border with Saudi Arabia, with more airstrikes reported in those areas early Sunday. Images online showed plumes of black smoke over the area of the Sanaa airport complex, which includes a sprawling military facility. The Houthis also reported airstrikes early Sunday on the provinces of Hodeida, Bayda and Marib.The Houthi-run Health Ministry said early Sunday that the death toll had climbed to 31, including women and children. Anees al-Asbahi, a spokesperson for the ministry, said Sunday that another 101 people were wounded.A U.S. official said this was the beginning of air strikes on Houthi targets that are expected to continue. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the press.Nasruddin Amer, deputy head of the Houthi media office, said the airstrikes would not deter them and they would retaliate against the U.S. 鈥淪anaa will remain Gaza鈥檚 shield and support and will not abandon it no matter the challenges,鈥� he added on social media.Another spokesman, Mohamed Abdulsalam, on X called Trump鈥檚 claims that the Houthis threaten international shipping routes 鈥渇alse and misleading.鈥漈he airstrikes come a few days after the Houthis said they would resume attacks on Israeli vessels sailing off Yemen in response to Israel鈥檚 latest blockade on Gaza. They described the warning as affecting the Red Sea, the Gulf of Aden, the Bab el-Mandeb Strait and the Arabian Sea.There have been no Houthi attacks reported since then.Earlier this month, Israel halted all aid coming into Gaza and warned of 鈥渁dditional consequences鈥� for Hamas if their fragile ceasefire in the war isn鈥檛 extended as negotiations continue over starting a second phase.The Houthis had targeted over 100 merchant vessels with missiles and drones, sinking two vessels and killing four sailors, during their campaign targeting military and civilian ships between the start of the war between Israel and Hamas in late 2023 and January of this year, when this ceasefire in Gaza took effect.The attacks raised the Houthis鈥� profile as they faced economic and other problems at home amid Yemen鈥檚 decade-long stalemated war that鈥檚 torn apart the Arab world鈥檚 poorest nation.The Houthi media office said the U.S. strikes hit a residential neighborhood in Sanaa鈥檚 northern district of Shouab. Residents said at least four airstrikes rocked the Eastern Geraf neighborhood there, terrifying women and children.鈥淭he explosions were very strong,鈥� said Abdallah al-Alffi. 鈥淚t was like an earthquake.鈥漈he Eastern Geraf is home to Houthi-held military facilities and headquarters for the rebels' political bureau, located in a densely populated area.The Houthis reported fresh strikes on the southwestern Dhamar province late Saturday. They said the strikes hit the outskirts of the provincial capital, also named Dhamar, and the district of Abs.The United States, Israel and Britain have previously hit Houthi-held areas in Yemen. Israel鈥檚 military declined to comment.However, Saturday's operation was conducted solely by the U.S., according to a U.S. official. It was the first strike on the Yemen-based Houthis under the second Trump administration.Such broad-based missile strikes against the Houthis were carried out multiple times by the Biden administration in response to frequent attacks by the Houthis against commercial and military vessels in the region.The USS Harry S. Truman carrier strike group, which includes the carrier, three Navy destroyers and one cruiser, are in the Red Sea and were part of Saturday's mission. The USS Georgia cruise missile submarine has also been operating in the region.Trump announced the strikes as he spent the day at his Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach, Florida.鈥淭hese relentless assaults have cost the U.S. and World Economy many BILLIONS of Dollars while, at the same time, putting innocent lives at risk,鈥� Trump said.___Baldor reported from Washington and Magdy reported from Cairo. AP White House Correspondent Zeke Miller and AP writer Tara Copp in Washington contributed to this report.

President Donald Trump said he ordered a series of airstrikes on the Houthi-held areas in Yemen on Saturday, promising to use 鈥渙verwhelming lethal force鈥� until the Iran-backed rebels cease their attacks on shipping along a vital maritime corridor. The Houthis said at least 31 people were killed, and Trump's national security adviser said Sunday that the strikes had successfully targeted 鈥渕ultiple鈥� Houthi leaders.

Video above: Fighter jets take off as Trump orders strikes on Yemen's capital

Advertisement

鈥淥ur brave Warfighters are right now carrying out aerial attacks on the terrorists鈥� bases, leaders, and missile defenses to protect American shipping, air, and naval assets, and to restore Navigational Freedom,鈥� Trump said in a social media post. 鈥淣o terrorist force will stop American commercial and naval vessels from freely sailing the Waterways of the World.鈥�

He also warned Iran to stop supporting the rebel group, promising to hold the country 鈥渇ully accountable鈥� for the actions of its proxy. It comes two weeks after the U.S. leader sent a letter to Iranian leaders offering a path to restarting bilateral talks between the countries on Iran鈥檚 advancing nuclear program. Trump has said he will not allow it to become operational.

鈥淭his was an overwhelming response that actually targeted multiple Houthi leaders and took them out,鈥� Trump national security adviser Michael Waltz said on ABC's 鈥淭his Week,鈥� which aired Sunday.

The Houthis reported explosions in their territory Saturday evening in the capital of Sanaa and the northern province of Saada, the rebels鈥� stronghold on the border with Saudi Arabia, with more airstrikes reported in those areas early Sunday. Images online showed plumes of black smoke over the area of the Sanaa airport complex, which includes a sprawling military facility. The Houthis also reported airstrikes early Sunday on the provinces of Hodeida, Bayda and Marib.

The Houthi-run Health Ministry said early Sunday that the death toll had climbed to 31, including women and children. Anees al-Asbahi, a spokesperson for the ministry, said Sunday that another 101 people were wounded.

A U.S. official said this was the beginning of air strikes on Houthi targets that are expected to continue. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the press.

Nasruddin Amer, deputy head of the Houthi media office, said the airstrikes would not deter them and they would retaliate against the U.S. 鈥淪anaa will remain Gaza鈥檚 shield and support and will not abandon it no matter the challenges,鈥� he added on social media.

Another spokesman, Mohamed Abdulsalam, on X called Trump鈥檚 claims that the Houthis threaten international shipping routes 鈥渇alse and misleading.鈥�

The airstrikes come a few days after the Houthis said they would resume attacks on Israeli vessels sailing off Yemen in response to Israel鈥檚 latest blockade on Gaza. They described the warning as affecting the Red Sea, the Gulf of Aden, the Bab el-Mandeb Strait and the Arabian Sea.

There have been no Houthi attacks reported since then.

Earlier this month, Israel halted all aid coming into Gaza and warned of 鈥渁dditional consequences鈥� for Hamas if their fragile ceasefire in the war isn鈥檛 extended as negotiations continue over starting a second phase.

The Houthis had targeted over 100 merchant vessels with missiles and drones, sinking two vessels and killing four sailors, during their campaign targeting military and civilian ships between the start of the war between Israel and Hamas in late 2023 and January of this year, when this ceasefire in Gaza took effect.

The attacks raised the Houthis鈥� profile as they faced economic and other problems at home amid Yemen鈥檚 decade-long stalemated war that鈥檚 torn apart the Arab world鈥檚 poorest nation.

The Houthi media office said the U.S. strikes hit a residential neighborhood in Sanaa鈥檚 northern district of Shouab. Residents said at least four airstrikes rocked the Eastern Geraf neighborhood there, terrifying women and children.

鈥淭he explosions were very strong,鈥� said Abdallah al-Alffi. 鈥淚t was like an earthquake.鈥�

The Eastern Geraf is home to Houthi-held military facilities and headquarters for the rebels' political bureau, located in a densely populated area.

The Houthis reported fresh strikes on the southwestern Dhamar province late Saturday. They said the strikes hit the outskirts of the provincial capital, also named Dhamar, and the district of Abs.

The United States, Israel and Britain have previously hit Houthi-held areas in Yemen. Israel鈥檚 military declined to comment.

However, Saturday's operation was conducted solely by the U.S., according to a U.S. official. It was the first strike on the Yemen-based Houthis under the second Trump administration.

Such broad-based missile strikes against the Houthis were carried out multiple times by the Biden administration in response to frequent attacks by the Houthis against commercial and military vessels in the region.

The USS Harry S. Truman carrier strike group, which includes the carrier, three Navy destroyers and one cruiser, are in the Red Sea and were part of Saturday's mission. The USS Georgia cruise missile submarine has also been operating in the region.

Trump announced the strikes as he spent the day at his Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach, Florida.

鈥淭hese relentless assaults have cost the U.S. and World Economy many BILLIONS of Dollars while, at the same time, putting innocent lives at risk,鈥� Trump said.

___

Baldor reported from Washington and Magdy reported from Cairo. AP White House Correspondent Zeke Miller and AP writer Tara Copp in Washington contributed to this report.